Land construction and urban development policy in Serbia: impact of key contextual factors
Book part (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
The aim of this paper is to provide a systematized overview of urban land policy in Serbia, primarily regarding the impact of key contextual factors (historical, institutional, legal, etc.). Various historical and developmental contexts have caused regulation changes concerning construction land and its impact on the urban development in Serbia from the mid-19th century to the beginning of the 1990s. The analysis starts with an overview of the theoretical background of urban development policy and land regulation, followed by a brief reflection on the impact of key historical and legislative factors focused on the post-socialist period. The analysis of the urban land policy in the post-socialist period includes: key legislation; ownership status of construction land and property rights; conversion of ownership status; general policy instruments; key urban land management issues in Serbian cities; and a preliminary evaluation of the implementation effects of the existing urban land syst...em in Serbia. Several research methods have been applied here, viz., the conceptual benchmarking framework for the dominant legal doctrine; a general qualitative analysis of the contemporary context; institutional and comparative analyses, etc. Although the former socialist concept of the welfare state has been transformed into a neoliberal concept in a short period, there is an evident delay in the reforms of the Serbian urban land policy. The paper presents numerous findings regarding the impact of the current system and practice on the general urban land policy in Serbia, while also focusing on the concomitant developments in the Belgrade Area. The paper concludes with the recommendations regarding the harmonisation and innovation of urban land policy and urban development policy in Serbia in the post-socialist era.
Keywords:urban land policy / urban development / contextual factors / Serbia
Source:Support to process of urban development, 2018, 29-58
- Lausanne : CODEV - Swiss Cooperation & Development Center at EPFL - École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne
- Belgrade : Institute of architecture and urban & spatial planning of Serbia
- Sustainable spatial development of Danube area in Serbia (RS-36036)
- The role and implementation of the national spatial plan and regional development documents in renewal of strategic research, thinking and governance in Serbia (RS-47014)
- Support to Process of Urban Development in Serbia (SPUDS) (SCOPES programme, no. 160503)
- Rad je dostupan na linku http://www.spuds.edu.rs/downloads/2eng.pdf. Realizovan je na bilateralnom naučnom projektu SPUDS - Support to Process of Urban Development in Serbia (2015-2018) http://p3.snf.ch/Project-160503 sa CODEV - Swiss Cooperation & Development Center at EPFL - the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Swiss, u okviru SCOPES programa uz finansijsku podršku Swiss National Science Foundation, kao i na domaćim istraživačkim projektima. Rad je publikovan i u prevodu originala na srpski jezik u monografiji "Podrška procesu urbanog razvoja", u izdanju Instituta za arhitekturu i urbanizam Srbije i CODEV - Swiss Cooperation & Development Center at EPFL - the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (2018).
- Editors: Jean-Claude Bolay, Tamara Maričić and Slavka Zeković