The Use of the Leopold Matrix in Carrying Out the EIA for Wind Farms in Serbia
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
Although the Energy Sector Development Strategy of the Republic of Serbia until 2015 envisages an increasing share of renewable energy (RE) in the total energy balance of the country and although there are plenty of wind energy initiatives resulting in the elaboration of planning and project documentation, no wind farms have yet been built in Serbia. One of the significant problems in the realization of these projects is the unjustifiable resistance of a part of local authorities and population, particularly related to the possible environmental impacts of the planned projects. In this context, the paper addresses the possibility of using the Leopold matrix in carrying out the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for “Kladovo” Wind Farm in Serbia (case study). The Leopold matrix is a framework method for assessing the environmental impact of a project. The novelty in this method, presented herein, refers to the evaluation of planned project activities relative to a group of criteria r...elated to: significance (spatial dispersion), probability and duration of impact. The obtained EIA results have enabled the precise identification of possible environmental impacts of “Kladovo” Wind Farm project, as well as removal of dilemmas and problems related to the public resistance to the realization of the project through a transparent relationship with stakeholders.
Keywords:Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) / Leopold matrix / wind farm
Source:Energy and Environment Research, 2014, 4, 1, 43-54
- The Canadian Center of Science and Education (CCSE)
- Spatial, environmental, energy and social aspects of developing settlements and climate change - mutual impacts (RS-36035)
- Sustainable spatial development of Danube area in Serbia (RS-36036)
- The role and implementation of the national spatial plan and regional development documents in renewal of strategic research, thinking and governance in Serbia (RS-47014)
- Рад је у категорији М24, према одлуци Матичног научног одбора за саобраћај, урбанизам и грађевинарство из 2015. године за рангирање научног часописа "Energy and Environment Research", Publisher: The Canadian Center of Science and Education (CCSE).